If You Can Measure It,
You Can Improve It
To the uninitiated, Google Analytics can look like a daunting blur of numbers and graphs, URLs and statistics, each with a name that doesn’t shed much light on its function. Our Melbourne-based digital marketing agency is home to a team of Google Analytics experts who can demystify the system and give you access to its powerful features.
Google Analytics isn’t just data for data’s sake. Sure, it can be interesting to see what your audience is looking at when they visit your site, but it offers so much more than that. Google Analytics will help you:
- Understand visitor behaviour when navigating your website
- Pinpoint the sources of your traffic (such as SEO & Google Ads) by both channel and geographical location
- Identify the exit points where your customers leave your site
- Discover what content has worked and what is underperforming
- See where improvements need to be made, then track each refinement in real-time
- Report on your time on site (TOS) and bounce rates
As an award-winning specialist agency, we can give you a complete overview of your site in one place. You can then use the various tools and reporting functions to go deeper into the numbers and find areas for improvement—whether you’re a small business just starting out or you’ve been up and running for a long time.
Need help with GA4? Partner with our Melbourne-based agency team for exceptional service and results
59% increase in revenue.
138% increase in ROAS.
24X increase in the overall conversions.
95% reduction in the cost per conversion.
440% increase in the conversion rate.
142% increase in organic revenue.
426% increase in Google Ads revenue.
95% increase in Meta Ads revenue.
133% increase in organic sessions.
63% increase in organic website conversions.
3,478 increase in ranking performance for tracked keywords.
71% increase in organic conversions.
48% increase in organic website sessions.
1,396 keyword position increases for tracked keywords.
36% increase in organic sessions.
86% increase in organic goal completions.
187% increase in Google Ads goal completions.
Significant UX improvement over the old website.
Decrease in homepage load time from 3.08 seconds to 1.37 seconds.
224% increase in organic users.
183% increase in booking form submissions.
1,465 increase in ranking performance for tracked keywords.
Increased Google Ads conversions by 61%.
Reduced the Google Ads cost per conversion by 60%.
2,675 keyword position increases for tracked keywords.
Edgar’s Mission is a non-profit farm sanctuary in Victoria, dedicated to supporting rescued farm animals in need of a better life.
Hussmann, a Panasonic owned company, is a leading supplier of commercial refrigeration systems and support services to larger scale enterprises such as supermarkets and independent retailers.
With flagship stores in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, Peter Sheppard have been providing unrivalled service and the perfect fit for over 50 years.
Essendon Natural Health
Essendon Natural Health is a natural health practice founded by Robert Gentile specialising in a range of therapies.
McKean McGregor is a locally owned and operated real estate and livestock clearing agency which has been operating in Central Victoria for over 100 years.
coreplus is a leading digital practice management software designed for the Allied Health sector.
Beginning their recruitment journey in 1951, Drake International is a leading Australian and international recruitment agency.
Centre for Clinical Psychology
The Centre for Clinical Psychology is a Melbourne based psychology practice, specialising in the treatment of trauma, perinatal conditions, anxiety, and depression.
Client Services Director
Harris has been part of the SIXGUN fabric nearly since its inception, running the Client Services department and specialising in client, staff, and escalation management, along with recruitment, retention, and business growth. A strong leader at SIXGUN whose all-rounder approach ensures maximum client and staff satisfaction, Harris also takes the lead on company events and culture.
After almost a decade in the digital marketing landscape, Harris has worked in almost every facet of the industry, including SEO, SEM, social media, site design and development, lead generation and affiliate marketing, account and partnership management, and general staff management positions.
Harris’ primary goal is to foster harmonious relationships between agency and client, ensuring business success from a technical performance perspective is at the forefront, while ensuring relationships with clients operate so effectively that clients are able to see us as a part of their business. Harris strives to create a family-style partnership environment within his department, where partnerships organically grow over time and clients stick with us for the long term.
Harris is a true foodie, soccer and music enthusiast at heart. You’re most likely to find him in the kitchen, watching his beloved Arsenal, or strumming his Fender Stratocaster.
Matthew leads the strategy and sales direction of SIXGUN, helping to develop a true client-centric mentality that puts our clients’ needs at the heart of our digital marketing solutions.
With more than ten years of experience in the digital marketing industry, Matthew uses his wealth of experience to guide campaigns from the outset, helping set realistic expectations that don’t promise the world. When talking strategy, Matthew understands no question is too small—choosing a digital marketing partner can be a difficult task and half the battle is finding a team you genuinely want to work with over the long term.
A foodie at heart, Matt enjoys cooking (hopefully) delicious food, wining and dining with friends and family, and the occasional round of golf.
SEO & Data Director
Leading the SEO, content and data teams at SIXGUN, Cameron brings a wide breadth of knowledge in technical implementation, holistic and integrated marketing approaches, and creating strong resources for the SIXGUN team and clients alike.
With more than a decade of experience in SEO across all verticals, including more sensitive and highly regulated industries, Cameron has done SEO for outfits of all sizes, ranging from one-person businesses all the way up to large multinational and publicly traded companies. He’s also collected experience in CRO, data analytics, web design and development.
Cameron loves spending time with his family and has a passion for serving his community. He’s currently the Deputy Controller for Training at his local State Emergency Services (SES) unit and holds a number of specialist skillsets, some of which he’s also a trainer and assessor in.
Performance Media Director
Leading the Performance Media department at SIXGUN, Alan manages a dynamic team of high-performing paid media specialists. The Performance Media team specialises in Google Ads, social media marketing, email marketing, and more.
With nine years of experience in marketing, Alan's journey encompasses diverse roles, from crafting impactful paid media strategies to orchestrating successful marketing events. Alan takes pride in fusing creativity with data-driven tactics, propelling brands to the forefront of the digital landscape, and mentoring his team to excel.
Once upon a time, Alan was a qualified hairdresser who specialised in haircutting. He even entered a few hair competitions (but didn't win an award). That could explain the career change.
Lead Account Manager
Nando is an integral part of the Account Management team at SIXGUN, helping to develop a true and transparent business-client relationship while aiding and managing the day-to-day needs of our clients’ digital marketing solutions.
With over a decade of industry experience in both traditional and digital marketing as well as experience in the creative field, Nando takes a warm and holistic approach to client services.
When Nando isn’t focused on all things SIXGUN he enjoys playing guitar and trying to set a new high score in classic video games. Nando also enjoys photography and making short videos in his spare time.
Lead SEO Specialist
Christopher began his SEO journey by curating a variety of music websites and then soon learned about the magic of SEO. Since then he has acquired almost 10 years of experience in the SEO landscape.
Chris has worked in a variety of niches from fashion to pet supplies. His passion lies in all things visual and content related, as he also studied graphic art and design. He has strong management experience within the SEO field and the wider community sector.
Christopher (Chris Z or Lord Zedd in some circles) runs a mobile DJ hire business on the weekends and is known to drop bangers for the general public on a regular basis.
Lead Performance Media Specialist
Dylan is a part of the Performance Media team at SIXGUN, developing strategic paid media campaigns to help clients be seen by their ideal audiences despite the crowded digital landscape.
With more than five years’ experience in digital marketing, Dylan’s expertise has many facets beyond paid media, including analytics, PR, communications, and everything in between.
Like many others at SIXGUN, on the weekends Dylan can be seen hitting a ball with a stick (golf), enjoying a run or visiting one of Melbourne’s many sandwich shops.
Senior Digital Marketing Strategist
As SIXGUN’s Senior Digital Marketing Strategist, Evan focuses on creating bespoke solutions, tailored to each individual business’s unique needs and challenges.
Working in client-facing roles for more than five years, Evan has a wealth of experience across the various marketing solutions that SIXGUN offers their clients. Outside of this, his knowledge of website development, UX and AI integration help shape a holistic understanding of the digital landscape, bringing unparalleled insight into every strategy session.
Outside of work, you’ll find Evan spending quality time with his Labrador Zorro (please ask to see a photo! it will make him really happy) or 30 metres in the air, climbing a boulder in the wilderness. Evan also enjoys a range of sports (supporting Greece of course!).
Senior Account Manager
With more than five years of industry experience, Nelson brings a professional yet approachable attitude to the client services team. From strategic planning through to implementation and all day-to-day tasks, Nelson takes a holistic approach to digital marketing, aware that transparency and understanding between clientele and agency is key.
With ten years of combined experience in industries like banking, finance, sales, and marketing, Nelson brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the team, having worked with many small, medium and enterprise-level businesses, leading campaigns and creating meaningful, long-lasting partnerships.
Outside of work, Nelson can be found on walks to the dog park/beach with his best bud, partaking in rounds of MMA to keep fit, or sitting around a campfire in the outback.
Senior Account Manager
As a Senior Account Manager, Miles brings a professional and calm demeanour to client services, leading marketing campaigns from strategy phase to implementation.
Miles has more than a decade of client service and digital marketing experience across a broad array of industries. From telecommunications to disability services, there are few sectors he hasn’t worked with.
Outside of work, Miles can be usually found with a soccer ball at his feet or a guitar in his hands.
Senior SEO Specialist
Ben is an essential part of the SEO team at SIXGUN, helping develop sound SEO strategies for clients in order to enhance their organic presence online.
With half a decade of experience in SEO across a wide range of industries and businesses, Ben’s approach to campaigns focuses on technical implementation and content strategy, with the goal of achieving a positive return on investment for all of his clients.
Ben loves spending time with his golden retrievers, playing video games and hitting the occasional shank at the driving range.
Senior SEO Specialist
As a senior SEO specialist, Buddhini brings broad digital marketing experience from an array of industries and has strong love for SEO.
Since starting her career in digital marketing more than seven years ago, Buddhini has grown her skills—from building strategies to strengthening client relationships—and brings a powerful focus to achieving client goals. She believes in working as a team and sharing knowledge about the ever-changing digital world, helping others grow personally and professionally.
When not spending time with family and her toddler, Buddhini is either busy in the kitchen baking a delicious treat or playing board games with friends and family.
Performance Media Specialist
Charlotte, working as a Performance Media Specialist at SIXGUN, leverages her design skills and creative mindset to elevate Google Ads, paid media and social campaigns.
In addition to being part of the all-star performance media team at SIXGUN, Charlotte harnesses her graphic design and illustration talents to boost her contributions to social media and enrich her projects within the agency.
Outside of the office, Charlotte can be found painting, doodling, illustrating, or enjoying an iced long black (or three).
Digital Marketing Specialist
Raj harnesses the power of SEO and paid performance channels to create tailored marketing solutions for businesses of all sizes, with a strong focus on efficiency and performance.
Raj has a wealth of experience in both the financial and marketing industries. He has worked with organisations ranging from small businesses to global multi-nationals, with several years of experience across different verticals of marketing.
Outside of work, you can find Raj spending quality time with his family and friends around a barbeque.
Junior Performance Media Specialist
Janelle is a digital marketing all-rounder who's dedicated to mixing creativity into her strategies. With experience in social media content creation and SEO, she's now blending her career know-how and diving deep into paid media strategies.
Janelle's digital marketing journey has spanned diverse sectors like education, engineering, finance, beauty, and ecommerce. Her expertise extends to creating and editing video content across YouTube and TikTok.
Outside of work, you can find Janelle cafe-hopping with friends and taking aesthetic pics for the ‘Gram. You might also find her hanging from a piece of fabric in the aerial yoga studio.
You might be wondering...
01. How does Google Analytics work?
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. It provides incredibly powerful and meaningful data to help businesses better understand their customers.
GA4 works by tracking user interactions with websites or applications, such as page views, session duration, and other user behaviours. As a GA4 agency in Melbourne, we then analyse data to provide insights about the performance of your website or application. The insights can be used to make informed decisions about how to improve the user experience, optimise marketing campaigns, and measure the success of various initiatives.
Google Analytics also offers features such as audience segmentation, custom reporting, event tracking, and ecommerce tracking. These features allow our team to provide you with deeper insights into your customers’ behaviour and create more targeted experiences for you.
02. How does SIXGUN set up and track conversion goals in Google Analytics?
- Understanding business objectives: We start by collaborating with you to understand your business goals and identify what specific actions or behaviours represent successful outcomes on your website. These might include completing a purchase, filling out a contact form, spending a certain amount of time on a page, or reaching a specific page.
- Defining conversions in GA4: Once we've determined what constitutes a conversion for your business, we set this up as a ‘goal’ in Google Analytics. There are four types of goals we can set up: Destination, Duration, Pages/Screens per session, and Event. The choice of goal depends on the specific action we want to track.
- Funnels setup: If a conversion involves multiple steps (like in an e-commerce checkout process), we set up “funnels” in Google Analytics. This allows us to see at which point in the process users are dropping off, so we can focus our efforts on improving those specific areas.
- UTM parameters: We use UTM parameters in URLs to track the performance of specific campaigns. This enables us to determine which marketing activities are driving the most conversions, and adjust our strategy accordingly.
- Regular reporting and analysis: Once everything is set up, we regularly monitor and analyse your conversion data. This involves running reports in Google Analytics, analysing trends and patterns, and providing you with detailed insights into user behaviour and conversion rates.
- A/B testing and optimisation: Based on our analysis, we carry out A/B testing to try out different strategies and see what works best. This is an iterative process of continuous improvement, where we use the insights gained from Google Analytics to optimise your website and marketing campaigns.
03. What metrics does SIXGUN focus on in Google Analytics and why?
As Melbourne’s premier Google Tag Manager agency, we focus on several key performance metrics within Google Analytics to ensure we're driving the most value for your business and effectively reaching your target audience. Here are some of the key metrics we prioritise and why:
- Traffic sources: Understanding where your traffic comes from is critical. It allows us to optimise the channels driving the most traffic and re-evaluate or enhance those that aren't performing as well. This is split into organic search, paid search, direct visits, referral visits, and social.
- User demographics and interests: These insights allow us to tailor your content and advertising efforts to the audience most likely to engage with your brand. Age, gender, interests, geographical location, and more can be critical for effective targeting.
- Behaviour flow: This metric helps us understand the path users take through your site. By knowing what content leads them to convert or causes them to drop off, we can improve user experience and boost conversion rates.
- Bounce rate: This is the percentage of users who leave your site after viewing only one page. A high bounce rate might suggest that your site's landing pages aren't relevant to your visitors or that the user experience is poor.
- Conversion rate: This is perhaps the most critical metric, as it measures the percentage of users who take a desired action on your site, such as making a purchase, filling out a form, or signing up for a newsletter. We'll focus on optimising this to ensure your website is a powerful tool for achieving your business goals.
- Page load time: Site speed is an essential aspect of user experience, and it's a Google ranking factor. We'll monitor this to ensure that slow page load times aren't causing you to lose visitors.
- Returning vs. new visitors: This metric helps us gauge the loyalty and interest of your audience. A healthy balance of new and returning visitors suggests you're attracting new audience members while maintaining the interest of current ones.
- Exit pages: This tells us which page users are on when they leave your site. If a particular page has a high exit rate, it might indicate an issue that needs to be addressed.
- Campaign performance: If you're running Google Ads or other marketing campaigns, we'll monitor these metrics to measure their effectiveness and ROI.
SIXGUN utilises a data-driven approach, leveraging these metrics, among others, to create effective strategies and continually optimise performance based on real-time feedback and results. Our objective is to maximise your return on investment and ensure that your digital presence aligns with your overall business goals.
04. How does SIXGUN use Google Analytics in combination with other tools?
As a leading Google Analytics agency working from our home base in Melbourne, we use Analytics as the cornerstone of our analytics and data measurement strategy. But it's not the only tool in our arsenal. Here's how we use Google Analytics in tandem with a selection of other tools to provide comprehensive digital marketing solutions for our clients:
- Google Looker Studio: We utilise Google Looker Studio for creating in-depth and visually appealing reports. It allows us to merge data from Google Analytics with various other sources, making it easier to interpret and providing a comprehensive picture of your online performance.
- Google Search Console: This is used alongside Google Analytics to understand how your site is performing in organic search results. It provides insights into the keywords people are using to find your site, as well as any technical issues that might be hampering visibility.
- Google Ads: If you're investing in PPC, Google Analytics and Google Ads integration is essential. This pairing enables us to track the entire customer journey, from ad click to conversion, helping us refine your PPC strategy to maximise ROI.
- SEO tools: We use tools such as Ahrefs in conjunction with Google Analytics to get a well-rounded understanding of your SEO performance. These tools help us find new opportunities for keyword targeting, backlink analysis, and monitoring your competition.
- Social media analytics: Tools like Facebook Insights and LinkedIn Page Analytics give us specific details about social media performance. When combined with Google Analytics, we can connect your social media efforts with overall website performance.
- Email marketing platforms: When used in conjunction with platforms like Mailchimp, Google Analytics lets us see how your email campaigns drive users to your website and how they behave once they arrive.
Our approach to digital marketing is data-driven and highly integrated. We firmly believe that each tool in our toolbox adds a unique layer of insight that, when combined, gives us a deep understanding of your digital presence and the ways we can improve and optimise it for growth.
05. How does SIXGUN ensure Google Analytics is set up correctly to avoid inaccurate data?
As a digital marketing agency, we take accuracy of data very seriously, and when it comes to setting up Google Analytics, we adhere to a rigorous process that ensures the utmost precision. Here are the steps we undertake to ensure Google Analytics is set up correctly:
- Tag implementation: We first ensure the Google Analytics tracking code is implemented correctly on all pages of your website. For this, we prefer using Google Tag Manager, which simplifies the process and allows us to manage all tags in one place.
- Cross-domain tracking: If your website operates across multiple domains, we implement cross-domain tracking to ensure user data is tracked cohesively across all domains.
- Filtering internal traffic: To prevent skewing of data, we can filter out all internal traffic from your company's IP addresses, so we're only analysing visitor data.
- Event tracking: We set up event tracking to measure the interactions with the website, like button clicks, form submissions, or video playbacks.
- Goal and conversion tracking: We set up goals in Google Analytics to track your desired conversions, whether that's form completions, purchases, or other key actions users can take on your site.
- Ecommerce tracking: If you're an ecommerce business, we enable ecommerce tracking to record transactions and revenue data.
- Campaign parameters: We make use of UTM parameters for all campaigns. This way, we can accurately track where your traffic is coming from and how various campaigns are performing.
- Linking Google Ads and Google Search Console: We ensure Google Analytics is linked with Google Ads and Google Search Console, enabling comprehensive data about clicks, impressions, CTR, and more.
- Regular audits and monitoring: After setup, we conduct regular audits to check for any potential issues or discrepancies, ensuring the ongoing accuracy of data.
- Training and reporting: We also provide training on how to interpret the Google Analytics data and can provide custom reports suited to your business needs.
06. Do you provide regular reports and analysis based on Google Analytics data?
Our team prioritises transparency and informed decision-making. Here's how we handle Google Analytics reporting and analysis:
- Customised reporting: We begin by understanding your specific goals and objectives. This helps us customise our Google Analytics reports to highlight the metrics that matter most to your business. Whether it's visitor demographics, traffic sources, page views, bounce rates, or conversion rates, we tailor our reports to your needs.
- Frequency: We provide regular updates based on your preferred schedule, whether it's weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. We understand that businesses have different needs, and we adjust our reporting accordingly.
- Clear insights: Our reports are not just about numbers and charts; we interpret the data and provide actionable insights. We take the time to explain what these metrics mean for your business and how they connect to your objectives.
- Strategy adjustment: Google Analytics provides a wealth of data that can influence your digital marketing strategy. We use this data to continually adjust and refine your strategy, maximising your ROI and ensuring we're always targeting the most productive avenues.
- Consultation: Along with every report, we offer consultation sessions where we dive deep into the analytics. We will discuss the report, answer any questions you may have, and brainstorm strategies based on the data.
- Real-time dashboard: We also offer a real-time dashboard feature that you can access at any time. This will allow you to monitor key metrics whenever you want, offering complete transparency.
Remember, data is only as good as what you do with it. You won't just get raw data… you'll get insights, strategies, and a true partnership focused on achieving your goals.
07. Can SIXGUN set up and interpret funnels in Google Analytics?
Absolutely! Our team has a strong understanding of both the theory and practical application of sales and conversion funnels, and we can apply this to your business to provide valuable insights.
We start by gaining a clear understanding of your business objectives and the customer journey. We can then translate these into measurable goals and stages in your funnel. This might include awareness, consideration, decision, and post-purchase stages, but we will tailor the funnel to suit your specific needs.
Once we've set up the funnel, our team uses Google Analytics' robust tracking capabilities to capture data at each stage of the funnel. We don’t stop at just tracking the data; we interpret it to understand user behaviour and their interaction with your website.
Our interpretation includes identifying points of drop-off in your funnel where users might be leaving, bottlenecks that might be preventing users from moving to the next stage, and stages of the funnel where users spend more time. This information can help us understand what's working and what's not, which can guide optimisation efforts to increase conversion rates.
Furthermore, we'll provide you with a detailed monthly report highlighting the performance of your funnel, interpreting the numbers in a clear, easy-to-understand manner. We'll also offer insights and recommendations based on our analysis, providing actionable steps that you can take to improve your conversion rates.
Ultimately, our goal is to provide you with a clear picture of your customer journey and conversion pathway, and to use that information to make data-driven decisions that will drive growth for your business.